Elderberries are a super berry known for boosting the immune system, reduce symptoms and duration of a cold or the flu, contain anti-inflammatory properties and more. They are also high in antioxidants and Vitamin a, great for healthy skin.
My wonderful sister-in-law, Tiffany turned me onto this. She has the best “medicines” for illnesses and a huge heart to help others. In the past when I was sick, she would hop in her car and bring me bone broth and elderberry syrup. Talk about miracle super foods!
To read more about the benefits of elderberries click here.
Ideally, everyone should consume a small dose of this syrup a day-especially during the cold and flu seasons. BUT Elderberry syrup is expensive!
I also recently bought elderberry gummies on Amazon for when I travel and can’t take the syrup.
This homemade elderberry syrup recipe is SO easy to make, delicious and worth the initial investment recommended below to add an immunity boost to your health year round. The recommended dose is located at the bottom of this article.
This is what I purchased to get preserve my syrup and dried elderberries.
- Airtight Storage Container
- To store your dried elderberries in
- Airtight Glass Bottle with Stopper
- To store your elderberry syrup in…must be refrigerated.
- Dried Elderberries
- The recipe only calls for 3/4 of a cup so this one pound bag will last several months!
Ingredients for Homemade Elderberry Syrup:
- 3/4 cup dried elderberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp dried cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp dried cloves or 1 drop clove essential oil or 4 whole cloves
- 1 TBSP of fresh ginger or 1 drop ginger essential oil or 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 cup raw honey
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the elderberries, water, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, about 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the liquid to cool and then drain the liquid using a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth.
- Gently press all the liquid out of the berries using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the raw honey and mix well.
- Store in the airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to two months.
- Adults: Take one tablespoon daily
- Children: Take one teaspoon daily
- When experiencing an illness coming on or while sick, repeat dose four times daily.
#Elderberrysyrup #Immunity #Boost #Coldseason #fluseason #superfood